- Published on Wednesday, 02 July 2014 17:53
From Team Kalitta Media:
This weekend, July 4-6, Kalitta Motorsports, the four-car, nitro-fueled racing team from Ypsilanti, Michigan, will be competing at the 13th event of the 24-event NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, the 8th annual Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio.
Doug Kalitta, driver of the Mac Tools Top Fuel dragster, leads the Mello Yello Top Fuel championship points by 102 points over second place, and leads the entire team in to Summit Motorsports Park, considered by Team Kalitta as the team's "home track" because it is the closest NHRA national event to the team's race shop, about 115 miles away.
Team Note: Team Kalitta nitro race cars have appeared in 14 championship rounds (including unique Four-Wide eliminations format in Charlotte) through the first 12 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series events this year.
Here's some other things to watch for from Team Kalitta at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals -
Doug Kalitta - Driver of the Mac Tools Top Fuel Dragster
HOMETOWN: Ann Arbor, Mich.
CREW CHIEF: Jim Oberhofer
CAREER WINS: 34
CAREER FINAL ROUNDS: 75
CAREER BEST E.T.: 3.713 seconds
CAREER BEST SPEED: 331.45 mph
- Kalitta was the No. 1 qualifier and runner-up finisher in Norwalk last year
- Kalitta won the 500th Top Fuel elimination round of his career at the last month in Epping, N.H. (A feat accomplished by only 16 professional drivers in NHRA history)
- Kalitta has garnered one event wins so far this season (Gainesville, Fla.)
- Kalitta has raced to six runner-up finishes so far this season (Pomona, Calif., Las Vegas, Atlanta, Englishtown, N.J., Bristol, Tenn. and Epping)
- Kalitta was the No. 1 qualifier for Top Fuel eliminations in Pomona, Phoenix, Atlanta, Englishtown and Chicago
Alexis DeJoria - Driver of the Patrón XO Café Toyota Camry Funny Car
HOMETOWN: Venice, Calif.
CREW CHIEF: Tommy Delago
CAREER WINS: 4 (FC: 2 TAFC: 1 SPORTS: 1)
CAREER FINAL ROUNDS: 8 (FC: 4 TAFC: 3 SPORTS: 1)
CAREER BEST E.T.: 3.997 seconds
CAREER BEST SPEED: 319.07 mph
- DeJoria qualified in the No. 13 position last year in Norwalk (first round)
- DeJoria earned her first No. 1 qualifying position of her career in Atlanta in May
- DeJoria has garnered two event wins so far this season (Phoenix and Las Vegas)
Del Worsham - Driver of the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car
HOMETOWN: Chino Hills, Calif.
CREW CHIEFS: Nick Boninfante and Jon Oberhofer
CAREER WINS: 33 (TF: 8 FC: 25)
CAREER FINAL ROUNDS: 52 (TF: 11 FC: 41)
CAREER BEST E.T.: 3.992 seconds
CAREER BEST SPEED: 321.42 mph
- Worsham won the event in Norwalk in 2011 in Top Fuel while competing for another team
- Worsham qualified in the No. 12 position last year in Norwalk (first round)
- Worsham recorded his career best elapsed time, 3.992 sec., last month in Bristol
- Worsham has raced to one runner-up finish (Englishtown) and two semi-final finishes so far this season (Pomona and Houston)
J.R. Todd - Driver of the Optima Batteries/Advance Auto Parts Top Fuel Dragster
HOMETOWN: Lawrenceburg, Ind.
CREW CHIEF: Connie Kalitta
CAREER WINS: 6
CAREER FINAL ROUNDS: 8
CAREER BEST E.T.: 3.747 seconds
CAREER BEST SPEED: 325.30 mph
- Todd was a semi-finalist at the previous event in Chicago
- Todd has raced to three semi-final finishes so far this season (Charlotte, Topeka, and Chicago)
- Todd was the No. 12 qualifier (first round) while competing for another team in Norwalk last year
- Todd set a career-best elapsed time mark in June in Topeka, Kan., (3.747 sec.)
- Todd joined Team Kalitta in March as the full-time driver of the Optima Batteries/Advance Auto Parts Top Fueler
Mello Yello Championship Points:
1 - Doug Kalitta (1,065)
2 - Antron Brown (963)
3 - Shawn Langdon (835)
4 - Spencer Massey (747)
5 - Tony Schumacher (711)
6 - Steve Torrence (688)
7 - Brittany Force (638)
8 - Khalid alBalooshi (620)
9 - Richie Crampton (600)
10 - J.R. Todd (557)
11 - Clay Millican (479)
12 - Bob Vandergriff (478)
1 - Robert Hight (1,032)
2 - Tommy Johnson Jr. (786)
3 - John Force (769)
4 - Ron Capps (748)
5 - Alexis DeJoria (747)
6 - Courtney Force (732)
7 - Del Worsham (684)
8 - Matt Hagan (681)
9 - Cruz Pedregon (651)
10 - Tim Wilkerson (603)
FRIDAY, July 4
Nitro Qualifying Session (FC-TF) 5:30 PM ET
Nitro Qualifying Session (FC-TF) 8:00 PM ET
SATURDAY, July 5
Nitro Qualifying Session (TF-FC) 5:30 PM ET
Nitro Qualifying Session (TF-FC) 8:00 PM ET
SUNDAY, July 6
Nitro Eliminations - Round 1 11:00 AM ET
Nitro Eliminations - Round 2 1:00 PM ET
Nitro Eliminations - Semi-Finals 2:30 PM ET
Nitro Eliminations - Finals 3:55 PM ET
Times and dates subject to change.
ESPN2 TV Schedule:
7/5 Qualifying - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET/8:00 PM - 10:00 PM PT (ESPN2)
7/6 Eliminations - 9:00 PM - 12:00 AM ET/6:00 PM - 9:00 PM PT (ESPN2)
Times and dates subject to change.
About Kalitta Motorsports:
Based in Ypsilanti, Mich., Kalitta Motorsports is a Top Fuel and Funny Car drag racing team in the NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) Full Throttle Drag Racing Series. The team was founded and is owned by drag racing icon Connie "the Bounty Hunter" Kalitta. For more than 50 years, Connie has been involved in the sport as a driver, tuner, and an owner. Kalitta Motorsports is one of the most successful teams in the history of auto racing with five world championships and over 50 national event titles in five different professional drag racing sanctioning bodies since it was established by Connie in 1959.
Del Worsham drives the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car for Team Kalitta. Alexis DeJoria pilots the Patrón XO Café Toyota Camry Funny Car. J.R. Todd drives the OPTIMA Batteries/Advance Auto Parts Top Fuel dragster while Connie's nephew, Doug Kalitta, pilots the Mac Tools Top Fuel dragster. Connie serves as head tuner for all Team Kalitta entries. He is assisted by co-crew chiefs Jon Oberhofer and Nick Boninfante on the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car, by Tommy DeLago and Glen Huszar on the Patrón XO Café Toyota Camry Funny Car, and by Jim Oberhofer on the Mac Tools Top Fuel dragster. Connie serves as crew chief on the OPTIMA Batteries/Advance Auto Parts Top Fuel dragster.
Associate sponsors on Kalitta Motorsports' race cars include Summit Racing Equipment, Mac Tools, Patrón XO Café, Red Line Oil, SealMaster, and Technicoat.
For more info about Kalitta Motorsports including exclusive content such as videos, photos and more, please visit www.teamkalitta.com. Follow Us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/TeamKalitta. Like Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/KalittaMotorsports. Check out videos about Team Kalitta on our YouTube Channel: . Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/TeamKalitta.